So the election is over, yup that's right, no matter how much you complain about it in a few short weeks we will have a new President of the United States and there is no changing who that is. Wouldn't it be just crazy if we as citizens of this country could come together and support the person who has been chosen to lead us? So the guy you voted for didn't win GET OVER IT! In case anyone is confused Barrack Obama was ELECTED as our president, that means that more people voted for him than for John McCain (for those of you who will point out that the popular vote doesn't always mean you win, you're right its all about those electoral votes. Lucky for Obama he had both going for him.) We all posses the right to vote, and to help decide the future of our country. I fear that what we are missing is respect for that same right. The outcome may not be what you wanted to happen, however you live here and we should all feel some kind of responsibility to support our leaders. I am not saying that you should not be able to disagree with decisions made by those leaders. I have disagreed with many of the decisions our current president has made, I have also agreed with some. Regardless of my personal feelings at least I can respect that we the people of this country put him into that office. Our government officials are put into office by its citizens, not everyone in the world can say the same.
I think now would be a good time to point out that if you did not vote in this election you should keep you thoughts to yourself. If you didn't vote and you are unhappy with the decision that was made you are the only one you can blame. You have no right to be upset about the outcome if you did nothing to influence it. There are of course those who did not vote because they did not like either candidate. For those who fit into this category you left it in the hands of others to make the choice you did not want to make yourself. I have to say that I respect the decision not to make a decision more than I respect those who claim to have chosen but have nothing to show for it. Either way you are not utilizing a right that others fought, and still in some places fight, to have. I encourage you to not let it go to waste in elections to come.
I personally voted for Obama, however I had plenty of my own apprehension about doing so. I saw things I agreed with and disagreed with in both campaigns and in the end I made the decision that I personally felt was the best. I will not attack those who voted differently than I did, I respect peoples differing opinions. The problem that I have found is I am often attacked for my own. I do not try to force my way of thinking on those around me. Oh if only others would do me the same courtesy. Many of my friends are very conservative, and I respect that, I on the other hand lean more toward the liberal way of thinking. In groups I feel that if I stand up for what I believe, or if I give any ideas contrary to those of the people I am with I will be belittled, teased, and dismissed. Why should I feel this way? Aren't these my friends? Shouldn't they appreciate my differing views on life? Apparently not. There have been more than a few occasions where I have sat by and heard them tear down ideals that I hold dear. When it has finally gone too far and I speak up to defend my views I am instantly attacked or made fun of.
Really we should all be appreciative of the many differing viewpoints we all posses. Where would the world be with out a little conflict? Conflict brings about change, and where would we be without change? Really that is why this election had the outcome that it did. Many people cast their vote for that reason alone. I know that change can be good and that it can also be bad. I admit that I am not entirely sure what kind of change this will be. However, I sincerely hope that my decision, along with so many others, will help bring about a good change for our country and the people who live in it. For those of you who are still grieving over the outcome of the election, you really need to get over it. Now is the time to be the bigger person and support that outcome rather than predict failure, and the downfall of our country. If you are not willing to do that maybe you really should pack your bags and find a country that you do not feel is doomed to peril. Good luck with that endeavor, I wish you all the best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Hey Can! I'm glad you started a blog:) You're awesome. I've always admired the way you stand up for how you feel, no matter what! I also agree that we have a new president, and we need to put aside our feelings and support him!
Believe it or not I think that we should support him as well. He's patriotic (except his faith) and he wants the best for the country. If he didn't then he wouldn't be running for president. He won fair and square and we have him for the next 4 years. I hope that his craziness ideas work out for the best even though I don't agree with them. If they work out then that is superb and good for him. We'll keep him in. If they tank miserably, not a huge deal. We'll vote him out and our next President will fix it... Or I'll just have to do it when I take office in 2020 (vote Jeff). I'm sorry that you feel like I trample your ideals. I just don't understand how the 'give give give and don't worry about the cost' mentality will help the country out. But you are more charitable than most people and should never feel embarrassed by that. Trust me, we all see it. And lastly, I would normally say that the advice to leave a miserable puke of a country and go to a thriving one would be terrible advice, but it's not written in Spanish so it's okay. Besides, it wouldn't make a difference anyway. Remember that we can argue about this all day long but the important thing to remember is that we all hate France. Vote Jeff 2020.
Agreed. Let's support! Way to speak your mind. :D
Post a Comment